Below the gorges the river broadens, winding its way through many layers of alluvial sediment laid down through millennia of floods and high flows. This is where the river becomes embedded in the agricultural landscape of the region. The dairy farmers, tree and crop growers harvest water from the river to provide produce to the community and the nation.
In this section of the river, bridges span its banks in at least nine locations. As a result of major flood event most of these bridges have been replaced numerous times over the last century, now a series of uniform concrete pillars allow for movement between communities divided but this river.
The name Mersey was bestowed on this river in 1826 by colonists expanding their holdings across the Northwest coast of Tasmania. There is a Mersey River in Northwest England and one in Canada too, the origin of the word Mersey is thought to mean ‘boundary river’ and in this section it is appropriate, the river is the boundary between the municipalities of Meander and Kentish and wells as Kentish and Latrobe.